So Kevin and I were talking the other day in the car on the way home from work. He was thinking about all the recommendations people have to live a better life. For instance: Work out, eat a balanced diet, pray daily, read your bible daily, eat an apple a day "to keep the doctor away", don't smoke, avoid these certain foods that are thought to cause cancer, save money, don't create debt for yourself, etc. Anyways, you get the point. If we tried to do every single thing that was good for us, we'd go crazy! It would be overwhelming!
There are so many things and expectations that either we as individuals or others expect us to do. It can often seem overwhelming at times. Kevin and I have both been saying that we need to work out and lose a little weight/get in shape. We both know we need to, but where's the time??? Kevin works 5 days/week and I work Tues, Wed, and Thurs every week. On the days I work, we carpool to work to save on gas. This means leaving the house early in the morning and not getting home from work until at least 6pm by the time we pick each other up and go pick up Addison. You get home at 6 and have 2 hrs to cook dinner, eat dinner, clean up after dinner, bath Addison, play with Addison, and get her to bed. After she goes to bed we are both so exhausted that we just want to lay down too.
Long story short, there is only about 1-2 hrs after Addison goes down that we have of free time before bed. What do you do with that time? Spend time as a couple? Read your bible? Pray as a couple? Work out? Get lunches packed for the next day?
Our pastor at church just finished up a sermon series titled "Soul Therapy". It was very appropriate for the start of the new year because so many people focus on changing habits to improve their outward appearance, yet they forget about what matters more........inward appearance/health. I don't disagree that physical health is important, but I want to be a family who is in good spiritual health and be able to pass those good habits on to our daughter. I want her to learn to pray before meals and pray for others, and just have a regular prayer life with her Father. I want her to learn bible stories. Mostly, I want her to know that God loves her more than anyone could love her and that her parents are in love with the Lord too. I want her to learn from our example.
Kevin and I just started a small group called "Couples that Pray" and I do believe it's going to change our life!! We have prayed together many times, but have never really made it a habit. We are learning a lot from this group and I pray that the Lord only continues to reveal more great things to us.
So how about you? What's important to you? Spending time on things that won't matter in eternity or spending time showing the love of God to your family and others and growing closer to your Creator? Just a thought.......
If you're still here.....thanks for reading. I just wanted to share what's on my heart and what God has been teaching our little family lately. Hopefully next post will have some pictures because we know everyone loves pictures!!
No comments:
Post a Comment